The first real blog post

Greetings, site visitors,

You may have wondered why there are so many “posts” on this weblog. I’m using WordPress’s ability to keep track of comments, so I can add an interactive element to each page of the site.

Please take a moment to look around. Try going to the radical index and clicking a heading. Then click on one of the characters. You’ll be presented with a “character information” page. Find simplified, traditional, and ancient forms of the character. See Mandarin pronunciations and English definitions. For some characters, etymological information is given, showing how the character developed and giving a useful mnemonic to help you remember it.

Notice the tabs at the top. They give you more information about the character, as well as an opportunity to post your own comments.

Speaking of comments, we love feedback. What do you think of this site?

Bookmark and Share
Subscribe

7 Responses to “The first real blog post”

1. Pathawi Says:

I’m shocked that there are no comments, yet. This site’s a great resource. I been teaching myself the 300 most common characters, & the info here has been great for developing mnemonics. I foresee being able to use the ‘contained in’ tab a little further down the road in my studies. The only thing I currently need to go off-site for in my Chinese studies is Cantonese readings of the characters (I’m learning Chinese in a Cantonese-speaking context—Putonghua readings aren’t of any use with the people I’m interacting with).

Thank you!

2. Bright Outlook Says:

Pathawi,

Thanks for the kind words. This site is still in the “undiscovered” stage, but I’m continuing to work behind the scenes to add more useful information. It’s my intention to someday make this site the most comprehensive resource available on Chinese characters. Yes, I’m planning to add Cantonese readings to the site someday. It’s just a one-man-show right now and part-time at that, but little-by-little it will get there.

If you have a website, a link would help get the word out. In the meantime it’s nice to know how the site is being used so I can focus my attention on what’s needed. So thanks for the comment. Also, right now I’m not moderating comments as well as I should, so it may take a few days for your comments to appear on-site, but I’ll definitely approve them. Thanks for your patience, and please let me know what else you’d like to see.

3. Eugenio Llorente Says:

I am totally devoted to the Chinese language, especially etymology.

After browsing your site for a few minutes I have been absolutely amazed. This is the best site I have ever seen on the subject. Really amazing.

I would like to ask you a question, among other references you give that of Karlgren. That’s very good but I wonder why don’t you give Wieger instead (or as well). In the introduction of his “Anaysis” Karlgren says in a foot note that concernig etymology the last word about the matter was that of Wieger.

Indirectly you give Wieger because you refer to zhonwen.com which is almost 100 per cent based on Wieger, refering to his “Characters” by page and chapter.

In my view no one can compare with Wieger, not even Karlgren. I know that Wieger is not, nowdays, very popular among sinologists for reasons I can’t discuss now, but which have little to do with his achievements as, in my view, the best sinologist the world has ever known. In due time I intend to write his biography, but up till now I am finding it very difficult to to get adequate information on the subject.

Another question: can your site be “donwloaded” in anyway, even if it means paying for the service.

Again I have no words to extoll your site. After all my researches on the subject of etymology I thought I could no be in for a suprise. Your site has been a HUGE surprise to me. You are not a student of Chinese you are a scholar!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

From a passionate student of Chinese.

Eugenio Llorene, from Madrid, Spain.

4. Eugenio Llorente Says:

My name is “Eugenio Llorente” not “Eugenio Lorene” as I wrongly signed.

Sorry.

5. Bright Outlook Says:

Eugenio,

Thank you for your kind words.

For reasons I can’t discuss now, I haven’t included Wieger references on the site. :-) However I do have a database full of Wieger references I use personally.

I’d be glad to share what I have with you. Please e-mail me or reply here for details.

6. Willy Says:

I don’t know who you are my friend, but what you’ve done (and continuing maybe to do) is greatly impressing! It’s a very very great service that you give to the world (the world of those interested in self-studying chinese, mostly) and for free! I am, like others, deeply gratefull to you.

You’ve done great!
    Thank you very much, great bodhisattva ;)

(sorry for my bad english, i’m frenchspeaker)

7. Bright Outlook Says:

Hanging out on this page always makes me feel good. :-)

Thank you too, Willy, for the kind words. I’d love to hear what you like about this site, and how I might be able to make it more useful for you.

Leave a Reply